Saturday, June 9, 2007

LA driving adventures


I finally got internet access although it's a totally unreliable wireless signal. I actually spent a good part of the last week driving around looking for free wi-fi, but it's a lot harder than I thought.

In my first week in LA, I've already gone through $60 of gas, from driving to the gym to work and back to just driving around getting lost. When people talk about how bad traffic is in LA, they're not kidding. It's pretty incredible that there are so many cars on the road at all hours of the day and night and all over this huge metropolitan sprawl. The good part of it that I've done some fun exploring (mostly along the beach) and seen some really cool stuff.

So to recap the last week:

The first day I was here, Kelly and I went to a polo game at Will Rogers State Historic Park. That's right, polo, with horses and everything. Will Rogers was a huge riding and roping fan and bought 186 acres for a ranch in the 1920s. After he and his wife died, the main house, some riding and roping areas, trails and a huge field were made into a state park. Back to the polo game... even though I don't know a thing about it (except what I've seen in "Pretty Woman") it was fun to watch. And yes, they even had the traditional divet stomp. This was the best people watching, especially because a very odd and overdressed couple (with an umbrella as a parasol) went out on the field. Then the guy, who was wearing dress shoes with no traction, was unable to walk up the slightest hill to get back to the sitting area. Every time he tried, he would just slide back down. It was certainly the highlight of my day.

I also visited the Santa Monica pier which is pretty awesome. It's apparently the "finish line" of Route 66 and includes restaurants, rides, and entertainment.

Nearby is the 3rd Street Promenade which is a pedestrian-only stretch of a few blocks filled with tons of stores, bars, eateries and street performers.

I've done a ton of driving around but because I don't know where I am most of the time, I haven't been able to take many pictures. I drove down Sunset Blvd. but there was so much traffic I couldn't get my camera out without possibly slamming into the back of a Lamborghini. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I've seen so many of them since I've been here, but it does seem a little ridiculous.
I've even driven through Beverly Hills but it's mostly huge houses hidden behind really tall fences so there isn't a whole lot to see besides streets lines with palm trees.

No comments: