Sunday, June 24, 2007

"I wish we could just interview homeless people" - Kelly

I've spent the past two days finding people to interview in oil change places and auto parts stores. After about 9 hours of trying to find people to talk to (of which 7 hours were spent maneuvering through LA traffic), I realized what a strange place this is. One guy wouldn't be interviewed on camera because he didn't like his outfit, one guy said no initially, changed his mind, and then decided he wouldn't do it after all, and one guy insisted that he be interviewed and then had nothing to say.

Among our adventures (day 1 with the undergraduate account management intern and day 2 with Kelly), we saw a topless man with war paint on his face driving an old convertible roadster, talked to some kids about skateboarding, learned that a car wash includes choosing between 15 different interior scents (pina colada?), and discovered that google maps is not always right.

I'm capping off the weekend by watching 15 movies in fast forward to find appropriate video clips for a montage I'm assembling. Finding these movies involved the grueling task of digging through the assortment of DVDs Blockbuster has organized in a fun system called chaos. Not only are the movies not in any sort of alphabetical order but they are also not necessarily grouped in the appropriate genre. What should have taken 10 minutes ate up over 45 minutes of time. Not surprisingly the staff was little help, and since it was midnight on a Saturday, I wasn't expecting any overwhelming displays of customer service. First the guy tried to use someone else's card to check out my movies and seemed surprised when I told him I wasn't Simon Garcia. Then he charged me to rent a movie that was missing the DVD. "Oh, good eye," the guy said, after I showed him the empty case. Uh, no dude, it's not my eyes that are good. It's my brain. But that's just me.

1 comment:

kelly said...

i still maintain that homeless people were much more accessible. It would have cut the drive time in half!